The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) allows non-immigrant or international students and exchange visitors to receive various visa categories to study in the United States (US).  International students or exchange visitors do not qualify for Title IV funds (federal financial aid).

A student must be either a US Citizen or an eligible non-citizen to qualify for Title IV funding (federal financial aid).  However, an international student may qualify for a private loan (contingent upon lender’s eligibility requirements).

International students/visitors:

  • in the US on a F1 student visa;

  • in the US on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa;

  • in the US on a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations)

  • "other" non-immigrant categories not cited

US citizens or nationals:

  • The term "US citizen" includes citizens of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands

  • All US citizens are considered to be US nationals.  However, not all nationals are US citizens: natives of American Samoa and Swain’s Island are not US citizens but are nationals and therefore may receive MOST Title IV funding (federal financial aid)

Eligible non-citizens:

  • A US permanent resident with an  Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151);

  • A conditional permanent resident (I-1551C);

  • Or other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee”, “Asylum Granted”, “Parole” (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant"

For additional information, please visit the Office of International Students & Scholars.  They are located on:

175 University Avenue
Conklin Hall, Room 120
Newark, NJ 07102-1811

Tel: 1-973-353-1427
Fax: 1-973-353-1281



Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey • Newark, NJ 07102-1896 • (973) 353-5151 • Copyright information