All transfer students seeking financial assistance to pay for their educational expenses must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current school year.  Additional forms must be filed if you received educational loans from your previous school; contact your lender about deferment of student loans while enrolled at Rutgers University at least part time.

Even though our March 15th priority filing deadline applies to continuing students, it is imperative that you complete your FAFSA early.  Some funding is limited, so always file early!

Already filed a FAFSA?

In Step Six of the FAFSA, applicants specify which school(s) may receive their information.  Many transfer students did not anticipate attending Rutgers when they originally filed the FAFSA, so a correction must be processed in order for us to offer you assistance.  (Do not complete a new application!)  Do one of the following:

  • FAFSA Correction on the Web:  add Rutgers University (Federal school code 002629) in Step Six  (You must have a PIN in order to process online changes)

  • Submit a photocopy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) to the Office of Financial Aid.  The SAR contains a four-digit Data Release Number (DRN) that Rutgers needs in order to request your information from the U.S. Department of Education

What about my New Jersey state aid?

New Jersey undergraduates that qualify for state aid (such as NJ Tuition Aid Grant, NJ Educational Opportunity Grant and Garden State Scholarships) must ensure that they will be awarded at Rutgers.  Unlike Federal aid, NJ Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) authorizes awards for one school—usually the first school that you listed on the FAFSA.  HESAA sends students a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN), which specifies state award(s) authorized for the school year.  If Rutgers is not indicated for the semester that you will be attending, then change your school of attendance on the bottom of the SEN, and mail the form to HESAA to process the change.

College code changes must be received by HESAA no later than November 15 for the fall semester and March 15 for the spring semester.

What about my New Jersey Educational Opportunity Fund Grant (EOF)?

Contact your EOF representative upon admission to the university.  Students who are already enrolled in an EOF program at another college are not guaranteed enrollment into the Rutgers’ EOF program.

What about scholarships?

Undergraduate, transfer students may qualify for scholarship aid.  Please visit: Transfer Student Scholarships for additional information.

What about my prior student loans?

If you received student loan(s) at your former school, remember:  you are responsible for notifying your lender if you transfer to another school.  If you will attend Rutgers at least halftime, then loan repayment can be deferred by requesting an In-School Deferment Form from your lender.  Most lenders offer in school deferment forms on their websites.  After completing the borrower section(s), submit the form to the Office of the University Registrar (Blumenthal Hall, third floor), which will certify your enrollment status and notify your lender.

Failure to complete an in-school deferment form (or at least notifying your lender of your transfer) may result in your loan(s) becoming delinquent and/or going into default.  Students that default on their federal loans lose eligibility for aid until the default status has been resolved.  If you are experiencing difficulty in repaying your loan(s), contact your lender(s).  Additional assistance is available from Rutgers’ Student Financial Services.


Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey • Newark, NJ 07102-1896 • (973) 353-5151 • Copyright information